"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, September 23

A Change of Direction



I have been thinking lately. Surprise!! Maybe the idea of venting my disapproval for certain politics and economic policies and figures is not the best thing to do. I remember a time on my mission when my companion and I didn't get along at all. It lasted alot longer than it should have. When it all boiled over in frustration, we realized we spent all day looking for fault, trip ups and things we could hold against each other. It was a cancer that we created and then fed a steady diet of meat and potatoes. It wasn't until we forced each other to sit down and talk about it that we figured this out.

We decided that in place of fault finding, we would purposefully look for two things that each other did per day and at night as we fell asleep, it turned into a nightly habit. We would have to look all day or we would not have anything to say that night. This alone instantly changed our relationship. It went from one of hate and resentment to open communication and mutual trust.

I have used this example many times since returning home but have unfortunately let lax my practice of admiration and praise. My companion was reading a book titled "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie. He wasn't supposed to be reading it so I resented that book and thought the title to be pompous and ridiculous. Why do you need to go out and "win friends?" When I returned home, I read it and found that the principle that resonated the most with me was a premise that Carnegie borrowed from Charles Schwab. That is be "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise." I realized that my companion was using what he was learning to better our companionship. I don't resent the book anymore, in fact I love it. I borrow my copy out. If you haven't read it, get it. Read it. You'll be glad you did.

Anyway, since I began writing about my feelings, I find myself looking for things to complain about. I spend time thinking about how to articulate my thoughts so people can understand them. I'm going to try and take a different approach. I don't want to be negative. I will probably still rant and express my dissatisfaction now and then. However, I am going to try and find stories and people that are doing good and filling the world with positive influence. I think my blog efforts will be much more appreciated by the readers and will hopefully expand my thinking to uncover the good in people. Because I know it's there.

1 comment:

Kirk and Carin Chugg said...

I find this a very admirable plan! Good work YO!