"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Tuesday, September 30

I Love You So Much....You Remind Me so much of Myself



I rode to Salt Lake today on the motorcycle and thus had adequate time to process the garbage in my head.

You may have noticed that the politician's signs are coming out, big flashy billboards hover overhead with a gigantic head shot of your favorite local yocal running for office again. Next to gigantic head shot is most likely some form of Donkey or Elephant immediately labeling themselves as a member of a party. Like this tells me everything I need to know about the candidate. So do fun words like "Experience, Leadership, Responsibility." I would like to see someone run an honest campaign and print a sign that said one of three things...."I am in your tax bracket" or "I will make your wildest dreams come true" (Can't take credit for that one), or "Constant Bickering, Politics and Bribery" At least the last one would be an honest ad.


So I gather that everyone in Northern Utah presumably belongs to either a cult of redneck Republicans that follow after their elected leaders as long as they are wearing an elephant-kicking-a-donkey lapel pin and hate democrats OR a throng of democrats who are forward thinking, progressive, intellectuals that are amazed that people dare call themselves republican because of the public embarrassment.

Might sound a little over the top and it might be but please....just because you put a little donkey or elephant on your sign doesn't make me want to vote for you. Get out of your shells people! Look the guy up. Write him an email, take him or her to lunch.

I was able to talk to both Glenn Donnelson and Ryan Wilcox several times before Wilcox won the primaries. I found the exchanges to be very refreshing. Both answered my questions....(little did they know that I couldn't even vote in the primary because I am not a registered Republican!)

Second example.....I now apparently belong to the coolest gang in the world...that's right people I am a biker. I get the little "hand off the handlebar half wave" from my fellow bikers. I'm sure you've seen it. I'm also sure you have secretly longed for the opportunity. Some guys just have their ladies do it! Trust me, I am taking advantage of it! I have made so many new friends! Until I bought a motorcycle, I was just another guy driving to work....now I'm a somebody!! You have to be really careful not to "half wave" to a scooter though-how embarrassing!

So I drew the conclusion that we are all very accepting people.....as long as you aren't different from me. Republican/Democrat, Vespa/Harley...I mean how are we supposed to live together?

No comments: