"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Monday, November 24

Pardons, Rosie, and Bailouts

Retraction requested-I read a comment on a blog of a friend about how the President really doesn't have that much power because of the checks and balances in our government. In your Utopian dreams buddy. Farce! Cockamamie! D's vote with D's and R's vote with R's. Everyone with a (D) or (R) next to their name has to vote with "their" president or be refused democratic/republican communion. The days of Representative government that thinks more about what's right for the country and less about what's self-dealing are nirvanic antiquities. There are very few real patriots in our current government.

Anyway...I digress..the Presidential pardon is an interesting part of our constitution. It enables the President to commute a sentence or pardon someone outright regardless of their crimes. I know Clinton and even Reagan did their fair share of pardoning in their days in office..mostly near the end of their terms. Does anyone else find it interesting that the President can be the judge of all judges and override the sentences of those convicted by trial? All I can say is I'd be pretty ticked off if I spent a 2 months serving jury duty to convict a guy and then the president said "It's okay...you are really a good person...and I love you...so I am going to set you free....because I can!" Seems pretty crazy to me. I need to figure out why the founders put that in the Constitution..they had to have a better reason than to excuse tax fraud and bank embezzlers from their prison "duties". By the way Mr. President, if you could swing it, I'd like a pardon from work this week....thanks.

Rosie O'Donnell-She has her own "variety" show? Come on NBC! I know revenues for advertising are down and that the major TV networks are asking for bailout money too but come on! So they can't sell enough advertising to fund their programming budgets-and they think people will want to advertise during a Rosie O'Donnell variety hour? Must be giving away free airtime. I'd personally rather watch a naked Rosanne Barr at a fast trot on a treadmill for an hour. (honestly try the visual for more than 5 seconds) Whatever is being passed around the boardroom table at NBC programming meetings must be pretty strong.

The Citi never Sleeps...Citi finally got their bailout today. Goodie. $20 Billion now and $306 Billion dollars of freakin' taxpayer money to grow on. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks Citi...glad we could help out with your business ventures. My future grandchildren would thank you. What's in your wallet?

No comments: