"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, October 2

The 24 Year Long Vice Presidential Debate

Why do we have to start the race for the presidency so early? Are we just so anxious to see a lame duck President finally be dismissed from office or are we just socially so inept that this compromises the whole of our lives for a year and a half? Does the media need material? Do campaign staffers really not want to go out and find a real job that bad?

So I suffered through the whole debate, word for word, without yielding to the temptation of the fast forward button as it screamed at me the whole time. I watched it because I am looking for someone to inspire me. Instead I found myself bored to tears by the same language, attacks and talking points we've have all been punished with for the last year and a half. I am considering a lawsuit against the government for the pain and suffering and irreversible damage this election cycle has caused me. I might even have a case under the "cruel and unusual."


I also, embarrassingly so, added CSPAN1 and CSPAN2 back to the line up on the dish. I watched the 1984 VP debate for a minute and decided that, if it weren't for the plaid suits, sweater vests and huge platter glasses on Geraldine Ferraro, that I could have shut my eyes and been listening to tonight's debate. 24 years later, our dialog has not advanced. Some might call this frustrating, aggravating, even embarrassing. Not me, I call it politics at their best. If the government can keep collecting our taxes and with those taxes promise to save the economy from turmoil, middle class families from financial insolvency and protection from maniacal dictators....props to them and shame on us for not making them live up to these promises.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I totally agree that we are made to listen to political debate and campaining way too long. It's frustrating that there never seem to be any really new ideas, and that the cycle of politics keeps repeating itself. Unfortunately we are stuck in this rut for now and will have to make a decision based on the same old rehashed issues and elect a less than perfect candidate. Sigh.

Carlee Hoopes said...

Wow. I couldn't agree more! I watched the debate as well, but I fear I did eventually give in to the fast forward feature on my DVR. No inspiration tonight I'm afraid. And sadly, I'm starting to wish I had recorded it so I could re-watch it to get to sleep tonight, as it is after midnight and I can't seem to tire myself out. Maybe I can find it on YouTube. :)

J.Comics said...

Thanks for the Laugh brother chugg! That was comedy! I feel for you! Check my blog, the oppinion is nearly the same! (P.S. I posted mine before I saw yours so I didn't follow your oppinion it was my own)