"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson

Friday, February 13

Basketball.....Church Basketball

So I admit, after not picking up a basketball or really practicing my shooting for a decade, I am pretty out of practice and shape to be running the floor but I promised I would go to this week's Elder's Basketball game. Ah the memories......it hasn't changed a bit. Arriving a few minutes early, I got to witness the end of a tight game. I just stood there and laughed. The first 30 seconds consisted of an overhand power throw to the body of the opponent, yelling, pouting, taunting and threats to leave and walk out. As I stood there laughing, I didn't know what to think, other than, geez I'm glad we aren't playing them!

As we suited up in our fancy mormon-mesh jerseys, we were called together for an opening prayer. Oh how weird that felt. A wise friend from the ward and I were talking about the uneasy tension that still lingered as the previous players were leaving the gym. He suggested how different the game of church basketball might be if there was both an opening and closing prayer. It might not end up with everyone standing in a circle holding hands and singing hymns but it might lead to fewer fist fight in the parking lot. By the way, the team we played were gentlemen, friends and we had a lot of fun. And they kicked our trash. Mmmm, just like old times.

No comments: